Skip to the main content.
What Size Law Firm Are You?

We've crafted solutions tailored to your firm

Insurance Glossary

The world of insurance for law firms can be confusing, and difficult to navigate. We've created this glossary because these common insurance terms should be easy to understand.

General Liability Insurance for Attorneys

Blanket your firm with protection for normal business operations.

What is General Liability Insurance?

Build a wall of defense around the business side of your law firm.

Otherwise known as a Commercial General Liability (or CGL), a general liability policy can provide you a blanket of financial security in case you’re sued for an injury that occurred at your business, for damaging a visitor’s property, or causing an advertising injury, such as slander, copyright violation, or libel.


What's the difference between General Liability coverage and a BOP?

A BOP adds property insurance, equipment, and business interruption coverage for your firm.

When Does a Lawyer Need General Liability Insurance?

As a business, your law firm is potentially responsible if another person gets hurt or their property is damaged while at the firm. If their property or reputation is damaged because of an action by any employee of the firm, your policy could cover these costs.   

General Liability Insurance can help if:

  • You or your employees interact with clients face-to-face
  • You or your employees have access to a client's property
  • Your firm advertises its services
  • Your firm uses a third-party location for law firm business
  • A contract requires liability insurance outside of malpractice coverage

More Law Firm Insurance Options

Check out the most popular law firm insurance products available

Icon depicting directors and officers sitting around table

Directors & Officers Liability Insurance

Directors & Officers

Directors & Officers (D & O) Insurance protects lawyers from personal losses if they are sued as a result of serving as a director or an officer of an organization.

Icon depicting two employed attorneys

Employed Lawyers Insurance (Miscellaneous E & O)

Employed Lawyers Liability Insurance

Offered as a Miscellaneous E & O policy, get coverage for your professional legal services when offered as an in-house attorney.

Not sure which insurance you need?

Take our free quiz and find your firm's best business insurance products.

Answer 5 questions and get a set of personalized recommendations.

Choosing the right partner to protect your firm shouldn't have to be difficult. With ALPS, you can get some time back in your day to focus on why you got into this business in the first place — helping people.

ALPS is Law Firm Insurance Made Easy