Claims Made and Reported Insurance Policies
This is the reason you purchase lawyers' malpractice insurance for your firm. With ALPS, you're not simply buying a policy. You are buying the promise that if a claim arises, it will be handled professionally by our licensed claims attorneys, not simply claims adjusters.
ALPS policies are claims made and reported professional liability policies. Therefore, as a required condition to our obligation to defend a covered claim, an insured attorney must immediately report any claim to ALPS during the policy period. If an insured attorney received notice of a claim, or becomes aware of a wrongful act that could reasonably be expected to be the basis of a claim, then they must immediately deliver a written notice directly to ALPS.
In addition to all other policy terms and conditions of coverage, a claims made and reported policy requires two things to fall within the scope of the policy:
- There was a policy in effect at the time the error or loss occurred.
- There was a policy in effect when the claim is first made against you and first reported to the insurer.
Both preconditions must be present before coverage exists under the policy.
Policyholders are required to provide written notice when they reasonably become aware of an incident or circumstance that could give rise to a claim.
NOTICE OF NEW CLAIM OR POTENTIAL CLAIM FORM
REPORT A CLAIM CHECKLIST
1. Include the Named Insured and the Potential Claimant. If submitting via email, include this information in the subject line.
2. In the body of the claims notification, please give us:
- The Named Insured for the policy.
- The name of the party who is or may assert a claim.
- A discussion of the facts and circumstances which are at issue and which might be necessary for someone having no prior knowledge of the situation to put everything into context.
3. If you submit your notification via email, you should receive an auto-generated message confirming your notice was received. If you do not receive the auto-generated message, your notice did not go through and you will need to follow up by submitting a written and mailed notice.
4. Print a copy of this auto-generated response as verification of your emailed notice.
Notice of a claim may be sent:
- Using the Report a Claim Form above.
- In hard copy and delivered to ALPS by regular mail at:
ALPS Claims Department
111. N. Higgins Ave., Suite 600
Missoula, MT 59807-9169
- By facsimile at (406) 728-7416 or
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dealing with a claim can be difficult, especially when you are continuing your day-to-day duties at the firm. ALPS is here to help you through the process. Please feel free to contact our Claims Department at (800) 367-2577 if you have any questions.